Supporting Primary Healthcare Professionals
The diagnosis of asthma should be reconsidered at every review. Patient’s understanding of their disease should also be reviewed and self-management encouraged.
- BTS/SIGN asthma guidelines management summary
- Personalised asthma action plan
- Personalised asthma action plan for school
- Indications for referral to secondary care
Asthma Annual Review
Each child should have an annual review to assess over all asthma control over the previous year, review understanding and make any medication changes needed.
- Annual Review Proforma
- Asthma Control Test for children 4-11 years
- Asthma control test for young people 12 years and older
How to use your devices information sheets
Accurate delivery of medication to the lungs is essential for it to be effective. All children should be trained in the use of their specific inhaler device at least annually. All metered dose inhalers (MDIs) should always be given via a spacer. Devices that don’t require a spacer can be useful for use when out and about but shouldn’t be used during an asthma exacerbation. Use our easy to follow information sheets for the different devices to support this training.
- How to use an aerochamber spacer with a mask
- How to use a large volume spacer with a mask
- How to use a large volume spacer
- How to use an accuhaler
- How to use an autohaler
- How to use an Easibreathe
- How to use a Easyhaler
- How to use a turbohaler
- How to use a peak flow meter