Supporting schools with pupils with asthma
BeatAsthma Friendly Schools Project North East and North Cumbria
The North East and North Cumbria Integrated Care System (NENC ICS) Child Health and Wellbeing Asthma Leadership Group (ALG) has been working alongside a number of selected primary school settings to develop, embed and pilot the Beat Asthma Friendly Schools (BAFS) Accreditation Pilot.
The overall aim of the programme was to enable school settings in the North East and North Cumbria to improve asthma care in the community in order to improve the experiences and outcomes for Children and Young People with asthma or suspected asthma.
This would be achieved through the development of a framework for accreditation, as well as resources to support implementation.
The Beat Asthma Friendly Schools award helps to:
- Improve asthma awareness and management in the school.
- Improve support to students with asthma encouraging an inclusive environment.
- Support responsibilities for the health, safety and wellbeing of students and staff.
- Ensure the school is implementing current and best practice asthma management strategies.
- Enable the school to promote its self-evaluated status to ensure that the community is aware of the school’s commitment to Asthma Friendly strategies.
To be recognised as a Beat Asthma Friendly School, each school must address a set of criteria that establishes an Asthma Friendly environment and meets current legislation from the Department of Health and Department for Education guidelines.
For more information or to get involved please visit Beat Asthma Friendly Schools (CHWN)